Children increasingly overdosing on marijuana edibles

Last month, Elizabeth Perry felt helpless because it turned clear one thing was very improper together with her 21-month-old son Oliver. “When I laid him down in his crib, he kind of went rigid and started shaking and crying,” Perry stated. 

Within an hour, he was in a Maryland hospital and medical doctors decided he had THC, the chemical in marijuana that provides customers a excessive, in his system. Oliver had managed to open a tin containing edible hashish gummies that Perry used to assist her sleep. To Oliver, it appeared like sweet.

“My first thought was, I did this to him, this is my fault,” she stated. 

Oliver, who had eaten 15 gummies, is not the one little one who has landed within the hospital after consuming edibles. These situations are rising as extra states legalize marijuana and edibles turn out to be extra frequent in properties with kids.

The variety of kids underneath 12 who’ve ingested edibles at house jumped from 132 in 2016 to virtually 2,500 final year, in response to the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Those requiring medical care jumped astronomically, too. 

“If you’re going to use these substances just realize that they look very attractive to kids, they’re oftentimes packaged in tins or other packages that look very attractive to kids,” stated Dr. Brian Schultz, who was a part of the staff at Children’s National Hospital in Washington, D.C., that handled Oliver. 

Oliver has since made a full recovery and is again to his regular self. His mother, nevertheless, just isn’t. 

“What’s terrifying is I know that if he found the gummies again he would eat them again, which is why it’s so important, I think, to lock these up and have these really out of reach,” she stated. 

Back to top button