HFD firefighter back home after COVID-related lung transplant

Wayne Davis had been hospitalized at Memorial Hermann Hospital the place he wanted a double lung transplant to avoid wasting his life.

HOUSTON — Houston Fire Department firefighter Wayne Davis returned home to his household Friday afternoon following a four-month hospital battle with COVID-19.

His household, associates and fellow firefighters gathered exterior the hospital in anticipation of his launch. Davis handed by way of a cheering crowd earlier than climbing into the HFD rescue truck that he used to work in.

“For a department that’s been so devastated by COVID, this is a certainly ray of sunshine for us and it’s a blessing for firefighter Davis and his family,” HFD Chief Sam Pena stated.

Davis had been a affected person at Memorial Hermann Hospital within the Texas Medical Center since September. Back then, his spouse Caitlin Davis informed us her husband wanted a bilateral lung transplant. The brutal virus had destroyed his lungs.

“I’m an example of what happens if you don’t get vaccinated,” Davis stated. “I’m going to get to be with the family for Christmas and it’s real important to me.”

The father of three obtained that transplant and almost died afterwards, however he pushed by way of and fought to get well.

“I had to spend 113 days in the hospital and I don’t wish that upon anyone.”

RELATED: ‘COVID-19 destroyed his lungs’ | HFD firefighter, father of three, wants transplant to outlive

His spouse calls him a warrior.

“He just continues to persevere and fight thru it for his family to get home. That’s what mattered most.”

“I get a second life, if you will,” Davis informed us. “I get to see my boys grow up and hopefully I get to walk my daughter down the aisle.”

When he could not be there for his daughter’s first day of kindergarten, Davis’ HFD crew stood in for him. They had been there once more Friday to take him home in his rescue truck.

RELATED: Daughter will get particular escort to first day of kindergarten as dad fights COVID-19 in hospital

“They said ‘We can take you home in an ambulance. He said ‘No, I want to go home in my truck,'” Caitlin stated.

Davis was first recognized with COVID in August. His spouse stated he had postpone getting vaccinated for months. Before leaving the hospital, Davis and his three kids, ages 13, 11 and 5, all acquired their first COVID vaccines.

“After my experience, I know the importance of getting vaccinated. I want to ensure that I am protected, along with my family. I also want my children to know just how important the vaccine is, that’s why I wanted us to get vaccinated as a family,” stated Davis.

The struggle is not over, but.

Davis will proceed to go to rehab till he’s totally recovered.

We requested his spouse what he plans to do his first night time back home. She stated they plan to eat Italian meals from his favourite spot in Cypress and atone for Netflix reveals with the children.

Davis launched a press release Friday night thanking Memorial Hermann and his brothers and sisters on the Houston Fire Department.

“I’m grateful for the Memorial Hermann nurses, doctors and additional staff for how attentive they were to me and my family,” Davis stated in a press release. “My family has told me how amazing the care staff has been. The attention they give you is outstanding. If I needed anything, they provided it for me. Behind the scenes, the firefighters have been extremely supportive. They’ve helped my family around the house and have been an important part of my recovery.”

RELATED: Two firefighters from completely different departments preventing COVID-19 in similar hospital

KHOU 11 on social media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Back to top button