Seven-year-old boy dies after contracting rare brain-eating parasite at California lake
- David Pruitt, seven, died from Naegleria fowleri on July 30, his household stated
- He is believed to have contracted the parasite from a lake in Tehama County
- David’s loss of life comes only a year after a six-year-old boy died in Texas from the very same pressure
- Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, based on the CDC, with solely 34 infections reported within the US from 2010 to 2019
A seven-year-old boy has died after contracting a rare, brain-eating waterborne parasite from a lake in California late final month.
David Pruitt, died from major amoebic meningoencephalitis, in any other case referred to as PAM, on July 30 after being hospitalized the identical day in his native Tehama County, his aunt Crystal Hayley advised CBS News.
Pruitt’s household confirmed the boy’s loss of life on August 7.
‘We are unhappy and broken-hearted to report that our candy little David has handed on,’ the household wrote on GoFundMe.
‘He is now within the loving arms of our Lord and relations who’ve handed earlier than him. We are rejoicing in understanding he’s now not in ache and in the perfect of care.’
The parasite in question, known as Naegleria fowleri, is often contracted as soon as contaminated water enters the physique through the nostril, based on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
David Pruitt (pictured) died after being hospitalized on July 30 for a rare brain-eating parasite
Naegleria fowleri (pictured) is often contracted as soon as contaminated water enters the physique through the nostril, based on the US Centers for Disease Control and Preventio
The lethal amoeba is commonly present in heat contemporary bodied of water corresponding to rivers or lakes, nonetheless a number of circumstances have been reported whereas swimming in poorly-treated swimming pools.
‘Once the amoeba enters the nostril, it travels to the brain the place it causes PAM, which is often deadly,’ it stated.
The CDC studies that those that contract the parasite initially endure from extreme complications, nausea and vomiting. Those who’ve contracted it have additionally reported a stiff neck and even hallucinations and seizures because the an infection worsens.
Hayley added that the household ‘desires folks to pay attention to this amoeba and the sickness indicators.’
David’s loss of life got here nearly a year after a six-year-old Texas boy, Josiah McIntyre, died in September 2020 after contracting the identical pressure of parasite at both the Lake Jackson splashpad or a hose at his household’s residence, CBS News reported at the time.
Josiah McIntyre (pictured) was simply six when he contracted the identical lethal parasite as David Pruitt in September 2020
Three samples of contaminated water taken from the Lake Jackson splashpad have been examined by the CDC two weeks after McIntyre’s loss of life, and all three in the end examined optimistic for the lethal micro organism.
At a profit days after McIntyre’s tragic passing, his mom recounted the life her boy lived.
‘He was an lively little boy,’ Maria Castillo advised CNN at the time. ‘He was a extremely good huge brother. He simply liked and cared about lots of people.’
Naegleria fowleri infections are rare, based on the CDC, with solely 34 infections reported within the US from 2010 to 2019.
And in California, there have solely been 10 reported circumstances since 1971, based on an August 4 press launch by Tehama County Health Services Agency.
The City of Lake Jackson’s Sept. 2020 press launch following the loss of life of 6-year-old Josiah McIntyre